Child Suffers Serious Burns Following Sparkler Incident

GARRETT COUNTY, Md. - A 9-year-old boy is in critical condition Friday afternoon after suffering severe burns to 50 percent of his body, according to Deputy State Fire Marshals. 

The incident happened around 10 a.m. Friday morning, July 4, 2014 at the Savage River State Forest in Swanton, Garrett County. 

Maryland State Police say the child suffered burns to his upper torso, neck and arms. The boy was transported by helicopter to the Western Pennsylvania Hospital in critical condition. 

Investigators determined the child went outside of his tent where his mother was and ignited a sparkler, causing his shirt to accidentally catch on fire. 

In a written release the State Fire Marshal stated, "Hand held sparklers burn at 1,200 Fahrenheit and can quickly ignite combustibles such as clothing. The Office of the State Fire Marshal urges all Marylanders to keep fireworks out of reach of children to avoid turning a holiday into a potential tragedy." 

Don't Miss

Latest News