Chambersburg Hands Out Free Carbon Monoxide Detectors


CHAMBERSBURG, Pa.You can’t see, smell or feel it, and it could kill you in your own home.

Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that claims lives every year.

"Hundreds of people die every year due to carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Chambersburg Fire Chief William FitzGerald. “It's a colorless, odorless gas. It's generated because of fossil fuel heated sources"

A carbon monoxide detector can alert you and save your life if there is carbon monoxide in your home. Chambersburg is currently handing them out for free to Borough residents

The Chambersburg Fire Department is distributing them with help from the Borough, which provided $30,000 dollars for the project.

"The Borough gas department was generous enough to fund this program for us and we're the one's who are going to facilitate the program.” said FitzGerald.

The detectors they're giving out are easy to install. All you have to do is plug it into a working power outlet.

Starting next summer, a Pennsylvania law will require detectors in all homes that have an attached garage and in homes that burn coal, oil or gas.

"Effective June 2015, the state of Pennsylvania has enacted a law that all owner-occupied dwellings will be required to have a [carbon monoxide] detector,” said FitzGerald.

Parents like Virginia McCleary, say having a carbon monoxide detector in their home gives them peace of mind.

"We just have them because we have gas heat and we want to make sure our family stays safe,” said McCleary. “I think anything you can do to keep the people in our community safer is wonderful."

If you are a Chambersburg Borough resident and would like to request a free carbon monoxide detector, you can call the Chambersburg Fire Department’s McKinley Street Station at 717-263-5871 Monday though Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Don't Miss

Latest News

Video Center