Chemical Explosion Starts House Fire

Published 07/15 2013 10:12PM

Updated 07/16 2013 04:03PM

FRANKLIN COUNTY, PA (WHAG) - A house fire in Waynesboro shut down parts of Main Street Monday night.

The fire happened around 8 p.m. on the intersection of E. Main Street and Grant Street.

Police say two people were sent to Waynesboro Hospital with minor injuries, and were the only people inside the home at the time.

They also say there was some type of lab operation in progress on the first floor. Police say an explosion involving chemicals appears to have caused the fire.

A hazmat crew was called to the scene. Police say until hazmat says the house is safe, Main Street between Potomac and Grant Streets will be closed and traffic will be detoured.

The house was a multi-occupant home. The family who lived on the second floor was displaced. They are getting help from the Red Cross.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon