Pastor Joe Donovan says even though the church sustained damages that could total up to $500,000, the congregation will continue to worship despite the change in venue.
"Our understanding of church is not that it is a building, it's [the] people," says Pastor Donovan.
Fire officials believe an electrical malfunction caused the fire Tuesday afternoon. Officials say the fire started in the attic of the church located at 64 South Main Street in Boonsboro. According to Pastor Donovan, he is not sure whether construction that was already taking place is to be blamed for the fire.
The church has been in the town for more than 130 years and Pastor Donovan hopes the renovation project will be complete by December.
Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.