Officials say the fire started around 5:03 p.m. inside the school, along 7 S Potomac Street. When units arrived they discovered smoke on several floors of the building.
The school still had staff and others inside during the time of the incident. Fire officials say all were evacuated safely without injuries.
The small fire was found in the basement area, and was quickly extinguished by school staff. During the investigation it was determined that an electrical problem occurred. Officials with Hagerstown City Light Department also said a problem is believed to have occurred with a transformer located underground to the back of the building.
According to the Hagerstown Fire Department, the fire was contained to the utility room and Washington County Public staff worked on cleanup efforts.
Along with the Hagerstown Fire Department and Hagerstown City Marshal's Office, Community Rescue Service provided assistance. The last unit cleared the scene around 7:31 p.m. Wednesday evening.
Two faculty members are being evaluated for smoke inhalation but fire officials say they're expected to be okay.
The incident remains under investigation.
Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.