The call came in just after 3:30 a.m. for a residential structure fire at 341 Osage Street. Officials said they arrived to find a multi-family house, consisting of two apartments, with significant smoke coming from the upstairs.
Firefighters were able to quickly put the fire out, which was contained to the second floor apartment.
Officials said one firefighter received lacerations while working the fire, and was taken to the hospital for treatment.
This is being investigated by the Fire Marshal’s Office, and the cause was determined to be due to an overheated electrical appliance.
They estimate the damage to be around $20,000, and all of the residents are receiving assistance from the Red Cross.
Fire officials said the apartments were not equipped with smoke alarms, and the ones that were installed did not have batteries.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.