Officials said following a recall by nSpired Natural Foods, Inc., the two grocery stores announced they'll be removing from sale MaraNatha Almond Butters and Peanut Butters due the potential threat.
Both Giant and Martin's said they've received no reports of illnesses to date. Consumption of food contaminated with Salmonella can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses.
Officials said it can also be life-threatening, especially to those with weak immune systems, such as infants, the elderly and persons with HIV infection or undergoing chemotherapy.
Customers who've purchased the product should discard any unused portions and bring their purchase receipt to Giant or Martin's for a full refund.
The following products are included in this recall:
- MaraNatha Organic No Stir Creamy Peanut Butter with Salt, 16 oz., UPC 05165109235, with a use by date range of 04JAN15 thru 27JUN15
- MaraNatha Organic No Stir Crunchy Peanut Butter with Salt, 16 oz., UPC 05165109236, with use by date range of 05JAN15 thru 28JUN15
- MaraNatha No Stir Creamy Almond Butter, 12 oz., UPC 05165109368 with use by date range of 12DEC14 thru 21JUL15
- MaraNatha No Stir Crunchy Almond Butter, 12 oz., UPC 05165109369, with a use by date of 17DEC14 thru 20JUL15
- MaraNatha Roasted Creamy Almond Butter, 16 oz., UPC 05165106032, with a use by date range of 24DEC14 thru 17JUN15
- MaraNatha No Stir Creamy Peanut Butter with Salt, 16 oz., UPC 05165109221, with a buse by date of 06JAN15 thru 20MAY15
- MaraNatha Organic Creamy Peanut Butter with Salt, 16 oz., UPC 05165109232, with a use by date range of 03JAN15 thru 25JUN15
- MaraNatha Organic Crunchy Peanut Butter with Salt, 16 oz., UPC 05165109233, with a use by date range of 02JAN15 thru 15MAY15.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.