The blaze broke out just before midnight on the 15000 block of Leetown Road in Summit Point.
Loudon, Fairfax and all nearby fire departments were called to the scene, and took crews more than six hours to put out the flames. Tell tell WHAG the home is more than 200 years old. The Middleway Volunteer Fire Department says the fire may have been caused by tripped circuit breakers.
"Because it's such a rural area, we don't have fire hydrants in that area, so we had to bring water with us. Plus, the house and its general construction made it hard to fight the fire," said Mike Mood, Middleway Volunteer Fire Department.
Fire officials tell WHAG the family is doing okay. The local Red Cross has helped them move into a hotel until further notice.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.