Victims' Grandson Charged in Keedysville Double Homicide


KEEDYSVILLE, Md. - The grandson of the Keedysville double homicide victims has been charged with two counts of first degree murder after his grandparents were found stabbed to death Saturday afternoon.

Deputies discovered the violent crime scene in the home at 4 Hoot Owl Court Saturday just before 6 in the evening. 19-year-old Joseph William Minoglio is facing murder charges after officials say he allegedly killed his paternal grandparents in their house that he was living in.

The Washington County Sheriff's Office has identified the victims as 78-year-old Peggy Minoglio and 84-year-old Joseph Michael Minoglio, who officials say was stabbed more than 15 times.

Deputies say the victims were found dead in separate rooms on the first floor. They also recovered the murder weapon: a knife. But what they could not find was the victims' car, a gold Chevy Cavalier.

"We were unable to locate the grandson of the two individuals that were deceased in the residence,” said DFC. Carly Hose of the Washington County Sheriff’s Office. “We put out an attempt to locate to track down their grandson."

At around 12 a.m. Sunday, hours after investigators arrived on the scene, the victims' grandson turned himself in. He was arrested in Montgomery County, Virginia, nearly four hours away from the murder scene. Authorities say he had the missing Chevy Cavalier with him.

Minoglio was later charged with two counts of 1st degree murder, two counts of 2nd degree murder, two counts of attempted 1st degree murder, two counts of attempted 2nd degree murder, two counts of 1st degree assault and two counts of 2nd degree assault.

Neighbors in the quiet community say they never could have seen this coming.

"[I’m] very shocked,” said neighbor John May. “It's a family that's been here since the beginning. They're warm in the hearts of the neighborhood and we knew of the grandparents and their children played with our children and they're just a very good family."

"They were a nice, quiet family,” said neighbor Susan Haller. “We saw them coming and going from their homes on occasion...A very quiet neighborhood."

Despite the shocking nature of the crime, neighbors say they still feel safe in their neighborhood.

"I really think that this was just an odd thing that happened and it's not really the neighborhood we live in,” said May.

As of  Sunday evening, the suspect remains in Montgomery County, Virginia, awaiting extradition back to Washington County.

The victims’ bodies have been transported to Baltimore, and detectives are awaiting autopsy results. 

Don't Miss

Latest News

Video Center