Officials Say Power Line Problem Caused Building Fire

CHAMBERSBURG, PA - A medical supplies building in Chambersburg caught on fire Saturday morning.

Fire officials say a power line problem sparked the flames that affected several homes on the 100 block of Quarry Road.

The fire damaged the building of a medical supplies  business called Your Safety Company. Fire officials say equipment inside was also damaged, but there are no estimates on the value of the equipment.

"We've had four residents in the area complain of electrical odor burning," says Mark Trace, the fire chief at the Franklin Fire Company in Chambersburg.

Patrick Gearhart lives on the same block and said he temporarily cut off electricity to his home because he was concerned.

"The TV was flickering on and off, [so was ] the air conditioner," says Gearhart. "Pretty much everything that was electric was flickering on and off," he says.

The fire chief on the scene says it was hard to tell how many of the medical equipment inside was destroyed.

Crews from West Penn Power, an affiliate of Allegheny Power, were on the scene Saturday morning. A representative with Allegheny Power confirmed there were issues with a power line. According to the representative, all problems have been resolved.

Don't Miss

Latest News

Video Center