The Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Oklahoma has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Watch for Garrett County, MD through Midnight Tuesday Night.
And we could be in for severe weather over the next few days as well. The Storm Prediction Center has the area under a Slight Risk for severe weather on Wednesday as well as Thursday.
Severe Weather Watches:
A watch means conditions are right for dangerous weather. In other words, a "watch" means watch out for what the weather could do, be ready to act.A Tornado Watch means that conditions are favorable for the development of severe weather including tornadoes, in and close to the watch area.
A Severe Thunderstorm Watch means that conditions are favorable for the development of severe weather including hail greater than 1" in diameter, and thunderstorm wind gusts above 74 MPH, in and close to the watch area.
For either kind of event, a watch means you should keep up with the weather and be ready to act.
Severe Weather Warnings:
A warning means that that the severe weather is imminent or will be occurring shortly.
A Tornado Warning means that a tornado has been detected by National Weather Service Doppler Radar or has been spotted by trained weather spotters. Take shelter immediately!
- Move to the lowest floor of your house, such as a basement, and stay away from windows.
- If a basement is not available, then move to the inner most portion of your house away from windows, such as a bathroom or closet.
- If time, take something such as a pillow, or other object to protect your head from flying debris.
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning means that a thunderstorm has been detected by National Weather Service Doppler Radar and/or one of the following severe weather reports has been received:
- Thunderstorm wind gusts about 64 MPH
- Hail greater than 1" in diameter (Severe thunderstorms can produce hail as big as baseballs or eggs...)
Meteorologist Bryan Tolle: Facebook / Twitter
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.