UPDATE: 'Intoxicated' Mother Kills Infant While Breastfeeding


HAGERSTOWN, Md. A Hagerstown mother was highly intoxicated when she passed out and killed her two-month-old daughter while breastfeeding, police say.

Police say 22-year-old Yadina Indira Morales was arrested and charged after responders found her baby unresponsive under Morales’s body just before 7 a.m. Saturday. They say the infant was later pronounced dead at Meritus Medical Center.

"We found that the mother was highly intoxicated and had actually been breastfeeding the child and passed out and ultimately smothered the child," said Washington County Sheriff Douglas Mullendore.

Mullendore says when deputies first arrived at the suspect’s home on the 11200 block of Scarlet Oak Drive, Morales was still unconscious due to her high level of intoxication. Police say Morales was also taken to the hosptial as a precaution because of her intoxication level.

Morales has been charged with manslaughter, second-degree child abuse, reckless endangerment, neglect of a minor and one count of contribute to a condition of child.

The Sheriff says there were two other children in the house, age one and three, when they responded Saturday. He says they are now being handled by social services.

The suspect’s father did not want to go on camera but told WHAG Sunday afternoon that he and his family did not know where Morales’ other two children were at the time. He also said the family is mourning and that Morales did not mean for her daughter to die.

Neighbors say they are saddened by what has happened.

“I think it is very tragic that things like this even have to happen,” said neighbor Michael Russell. "It's just very, very tragic and very sad."

Others say they are shocked.

"It’s crazy,” said neighbor Ryan Springirth. “It's just insane how people can drink and you know, you shouldn't breastfeed your child when you're drunk."

According to court documents, Morales has a past criminal record including arrests for theft and second-degree assault.

Police say this investigation is still ongoing and that the infant was taken to the Office of the Medical Examiner in Baltimore for an autopsy.                                               

Police say Morales was taken to the Washington County Detention Center, but was released after posting $100,000 bond.

Don't Miss

Latest News

Video Center