Fire officials say Donald Edward Oates, 55, died in the blaze Thursday night along 44-46 East Franklin Street. The cause of death has been ruled accidental as a result of smoke and soot inhalation.
Officials with the Hagerstown Fire Department say Oates was living in the rear apartment of 44 East Franklin Street. They say he was identified as a resident who was unaccounted for while firefighters were battling the blaze that evening.
As we've reported, crews found heavy fire coming from the apartment when they arrived on the scene. Extensive fire damage to the apartment followed a partial collapse, and structural concerns delayed efforts in locating Oates.
The Hagerstown City Fire Marshal continues to investigate the circumstances surrounding the blaze.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.