Follow Bryan on Facebook and Twitter
Winter Weather Alert: The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Watch for the following counties from 7:00 PM Tuesday through 1:00 PM Wednesday in advance of our next winter storm heading for the region:
In Maryland: Allegany, Frederick, Garrett and Washington
In Pennsylvania: Adams, Bedford, Franklin, Fulton and Adams
In West Virginia: Berkeley, Grant, Hampshire, Hardy, Jefferson, Mineral and Morgan
In Virginia: Frederick, City of Winchester
The next storm heading for the region has the potential to be a major player system with significant ice accumulations and snow accumulations likely. The Winter Storm Watch is active for a few inches of snow and at least 0.25" ice accumulation.
At this point, here is what we see is going to happen from Tuesday Night into Wednesday:
- Wintry Mix of snow and sleet develops Tuesday Evening (7:00 PM-11:00 PM)
- Changes to freezing rain shortly before or after midnight on Wednesday
- Freezing rain last for the entire overnight period and majority of Wednesday Morning
- Freezing rain changes over to rain as temperatures warm, or freezing rain ends as low pressure system moves away from the area. I have the distinct feeling some of us may see freezing rain for this entire event and not change over to rain, but it will all depend on how fast the low pressure system moves, and how quick temperatures warm up.
- Storm Total Ice Accumulation Anticipated: 0.25"-0.50" - This has the potential to bring down trees and power lines should this much ice/freezing rain fall.
The Winter Storm Watch should be upgraded to an Ice Storm Warning and/or Winter Storm Warning for the area as we get into Tuesday Morning. Stay with WHAG: Your Local Weather Leader as this storm evolves and moves into the area, we'll keep you ahead of the storm.
Your Local Weather Leader Short Term Forecast:
Tonight: Mostly cloudy skies. Low: 17-22.
Tomorrow (Tuesday): Mostly cloudy skies, possibly a few breaks of sunshine possible throughout the day. High: 30-35.
Tomorrow Night: Cloudy skies, wintry mix of snow/sleet and freezing rain developing in the evening, changing over to freezing rain with ice accumulations of 0.25" to 0.50" likely for the entire area, snow accumulations also possible. Low: 25-30.
Your Local Weather Leader Extended Forecast:
Wednesday: Freezing rain likely, changing over to rain (some areas may not see the changeover to rain...). High: 37. Low: 18.
Thursday: Partly sunny skies. High: 30. Low: 16.
Friday: Partly sunny skies. High: 34. Low: 21.
Saturday: Cloudy skies with a rain/snow mix possible. High: 33. Low: 21.
Sunday: Snow likely. High: 32. Low: 23.
Monday: Cloudy skies with a chance of snow. High: 34. Low: 18.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.