Ecolab is located between Kearneysville and Martinsburg near the VA Medical Center.
Firefighters were first called to the area around 1:45 p.m. after reports of a fire.
According to Cpt. Justin Northcraft with the Baker Heights Fire Department, insulation that was around a 10,000 gallon tank containing 'acetic acid glacial' caught fire. Fire officials say the tank leaked the chemical into a 'containment pit.' Officials say hazmat crews worked to pump out the chemical.
Roman Blahoski, spokesman with Ecolab tells WHAG that a heating system malfunctioned, resulting in the small fire involving the insulation around the storage tank. Blahoski says the storage tank was on the company's property, but outside of the facility. He says fire and rescue crews responded and extinguished the fire.
Crews were on scene Friday evening transferring contents of the affected tank to a tanker truck. No injuries have been reported and no chemicals have been released into the environment, according to Blahoski.
The Liberty Run subdivision was the only place evacuated during the incident, according to fire and rescue crews on scene.
Berkeley County emergency agencies, including the Baker Heights Fire Department and the Berkeley County Sheriff’s office responded to the scene.
At this time crews do not know what sparked the fire. The incident is still under investigation.