29°F
Sponsored by

Family Displaced in Winchester House Fire

Fire officials say the fire was accidental and caused by a malfunction in electric radiant heat within the ceiling.
WINCHESTER, Va. - The State Fire Marshal along with Winchester Fire and Rescue say a local family has been displaced after the attic inside their house caught fire. 

It happened just after 7 a.m. Wednesday morning in the 500 block of Wentworth Avenue.

Fire officials say the fire was accidental and caused by a malfunction in electric radiant heat within the ceiling. Officials say when they arrived on the scene there wasn't clear access to the attic. They were able to locate the fire within the ceiling in the attic coming from a series of wires running within the wall. They say these wires connected to the thermostat inside the house. 

Fire officials noticed the particular section of ceiling where the wires were had been damaged and replaced in the past. The section where the two wires connected between old and new, was where the heat was resonating from. They said these types of incidents do not occur very often inside a house. 

The local Winchester house was built in the 1950s, according to State Fire Marshal. 

The family is currently being assisted by the American Red Cross, where they're being provided with financial assistance to help with meals and lodging. 
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines