MAUGANSVILLE, Md. - It's a device that could make the difference between life and death.
"A smoke detector can't just possibly save lives. They do save lives. No doubt about that," said Brad Hineman of the Maugansville Fire Department.
After a Maugansville house fire took the lives to two people Wednesday, firefighters say it's their job to educate the public.
"The fire department isn't just about putting out fires. It's also about preventing fires. To prevent that and disable it before things go bad," said Hineman.
Hineman says the way to do that is by having a working smoke detector in each floor of your home.
"I have a smoke detector in every level of my house. I make sure they're outside of the bedroom. They definitely do save lives," said Kristen Resh of the Maugansville Fire Department.
But it's not enough just to have a smoke detector. Hineman explains it's important that these devices are maintained so that they will work when it matters most.
"Batteries need to be checked twice a year. If they're not cleaned regularly, they can go off more than you need them to and they can clog," said Hineman.
This week local firefighters say they checked smoke detectors in many neighborhood homes.
If you have questions about smoke detectors, such as how to install them in your home, local firefighters say they are always willing to help.